I was planning on doing a little pot with a lid. However, I'm missing a tool that is taking a while to come back into stock. As I had a small piece of Ash I thought I'd have another go at making a bowl.
I mostly followed the same process that I used to make the pear bowl. I cut the mortice a little bit deeper this time - and it felt like it was a little more secure on the lathe. I made the sides of the bowl a little bit thinner and added a little bit of shape at the bowl's top.
I didn't pay enough attention to the sanding. I started with 80 grit, then worked up to 400 grit, like before, then I began to apply the finish. Then I noticed that I'd had a little dent on the inside of the bowl from a catch. So I had to put the bowl back on the lathe and start again at 80 grit.
I think this one came out a little bit better than the last bowl, and the process of making it went a little bit smoother.
For my next project, I've got another larger piece of Ash to turn a bowl out of. I also have a pot of Hampshire Sheen's black embellishing paste - which is supposed to give Ash 'an aged or distressed look' - which I'm looking forward to trying.